Saturday, March 21, 2009

The trouble with nuts...

It was a calm ride through the impressive Andes. Hanna and I were on our way from Mendoza, Argentina to Viña Del Mar, Chile I couldn't stop looking out the window at all the beautiful sites while Hanna slept soundly in the seat next to me. We get to the border and are forced off the bus to stand in line after line after line. There was even another line after those three. There were probably two more, but I can't really recall. What I do recall is being called out of one. The agents raised my bag in the air and asked to whom it belonged. I calmly raised my hand to plainly show everyone my wet armpit, sweaty with nervousness. I wasn't really sure why I was nervous, but being around unnecessary and completely over-the-top security makes me uncomfy.


While standing in the line, Hanna looks at me and reminds me that I have nuts. I told her thanks, but don't think I need to declare those. She reminds me of the trail mix I had prepared before leaving Buenos Aires to curb our hunger during long trips or between meals. Once called out of line, I scribbled my previous declaration that I had no nuts (hmm...). The lovely 'lady' searched my bag finding my hidden treasure but appeared to not even care that I was trying to break the law. Another officer called me over and I filled out another form, this time indicating clearly that I do possess some sort of nuts. Quite a relief...now just for them to drop again.


No comments:

Post a Comment